These days smartphone has come into wide use in the world. Naturally, they are not only conducting a lot of business on their smartphone but also are able to use the internet anytime anywhere on their smartphone. Although the people are more convenient than in the past by using the smartphone, their personal information is more dangerous than in the past. In some country, instant message application is more popular than traditional text message because the smartphone distribute widely in the world.
Advantage of Instant Message
Instant message application gives many advantages to the users.
- The users of instant message application can send and receive instant message in real time.
- While the communication between the users of instant message application, the users can share the files such as pictures, voice message, video and etc.
- Although the users do not sign up for the telecommunication company, they can send and receive instant message anywhere if they can use wireless internet on their smartphone.
- The instant message allows real-time group chatting.
Disadvantage of Instant Message
- There is a security issue.
The hackers can attack the users’ smartphone by sending some files, such as virus, trojan horse and etc., to general users.
There is another shocking example about the security issue of instant message. Last month, there is an issue about the instant message application, Kakaotalk in South Korea. Surprisingly, Korea government and prosecutors eavesdropped and monitored from conversation content of criminals to conversation content of innocent people through instant message application server. This means that Korea government and prosecutors can get access to online conversation through server. Of course, some Koreans are worrying about online privacy. More than two million Korean users of the Kakaotalk move to secure instant message application. After the issue, Kakaotalk CEO said that we will create message security system during conversation between the users until the end of year and will shorten the store time about the conversation contents in server.
However, fortunately, there is an alternative method to avoid the security issue when the users use the instant message. The mass media introduces an alternative application, ‘Telegram’, instead of Kakaotalk due to following reasons.
- The user sends encrypted messages. When the user receive encrypted message, they decrypt received message to check the message.
- The South Korea users can avoid surveillance from government and prosecutors because Telegram application servers are not in South Korea.
- All faculties including Telegram CEO cannot see the messages of the users because instant messages between the users do not save in the server.
I am using the instant message application on my smartphone because it is more convenient than traditional text message. Although instant message makes the users more convenient, they should be careful what they use the instant message. When I write the message on instant message application, I take care my personal information as well.